Fort Hays State University
Office of Admissions
Picken Hall 211
600 Park Street
Hays, KS 67601
Phone: 785-628-5666
Fax: 1-800-432-0248
Meet the Admissions Staff

Undergraduate Admissions FAQ

Office of the Registrar 600 Park Street 1-800-628-FHSU or 785-628-4222

Do I have to take the ACT/SAT? (Students over 21)

The ACT or SAT is only required for first time freshman under the age of 21 and transfer students under the age of 21 who have less than 24 college hours transferring. Transfer students with 24 or more hours do not need to submit ACT or SAT scores for admission, but they are encouraged to do so.

Do I have to request my transcripts to be sent to FHSU?

Yes. Any student applying to FHSU, must contact their previous school(s) and request that official transcripts be mailed to Fort Hays State University. We DO NOT request transcripts for the student.

Is a faxed transcript considered an official transcript? Can I fax /email my transcripts to you?

A faxed or emailed transcript is not official. We only consider transcripts to be official if they arrive in the Registrar's Office or Admission's Office sealed in an official school envelope. If the envelope has been opened or tampered with in any way, the transcript will not be considered official. Unofficial transcripts may be submitted for the purpose of admission, but students must follow up with official transcripts to complete their application file and to have any kind of degree evaluation done. If we cannot read the unofficial transcripts, we will require students to submit official transcripts before a determination of their admission is made.

What if I do not know the exact number of credits I have taken at previous colleges?

You can estimate the number of hours or dates of attendance.

How long does it take to be admitted to FHSU?

This varies depending on the time of year and the number of documents a student needs to submit. In general, if a student does not receive some kind of response with in about two weeks of submitting their application, they should contact the application processor to make sure the application and transcripts have been received.

Do I need to send every previous transcript? (Last school lists all of my transfer credits)

YES! We require official transcripts from each school that you have previously attended. The only time we do not require a transcript from another institution is if the school is not transferable to FHSU.

Do you need my parent's contact information? (non-traditional students)

Students are asked to provide parental contact information on the application. If you are a non-traditional student or if you do not have parental information, you may provide contact information for a guardian or spouse or you may enter your own information again if you do not wish to provide a contact.

Will my admission letter tell me what classes will transfer to FHSU?

No. Once a student has been admitted he or she may request an evaluation of their transfer hours or they may wait until the Registrar's Office has completed the evaluation.

Can I speed up the application process to be admitted?

Some students choose to submit unofficial college transcripts to try to speed up the admissions process. This can be done but the student must follow up with official transcripts to complete their file. Students also need to be aware of the follow: 1. If we can not read the transcripts, we will not use them. 2. Degree evaluations will not be performed until the official transcripts arrive.

I filled out the on-line application, what do I do next?

You need to contact your previous schools to have transcripts mailed to FHSU. If you are applying for financial aid, you may also contact that office to start the financial aid process.

I had an enrollment hold placed on my account, what do I need to do?

If the enrollment hold is for a missing, incomplete or unofficial transcript, you will need to contact your previous school(s) to request an updated, official transcript be mailed to the FHSU Registrar's Office.

What is the difference between non-degree and degree seeking?

Degree seeking students are pursuing a degree. They will need to submit official transcripts and/or ACT/SAT scores and they will need to meet admission requirements to be admitted to FHSU. Degree seeking students can apply for financial aid. Non-degree seeking students are not pursuing a degree at FHSU. They are taking the class for their own enrichment or to transfer back to another school. Or they may be working on a certificate program. Non-degree seeking students do not need to submit transcripts or test scores and they do not need to meet admission requirements. Non-degree seeking students DO NOT have the option of applying for financial aid.

Is the application fee refundable if I do not attend?

No it is a non-refundable application fee. A student has 1 year to use the fee when they apply. If a student decides to attend later and there has been over a one year time period since paying the fee, he or she will need to pay the fee again.

I applied about a year ago so is my application still good?

A student has 1 year to use the application before it becomes inactive.

Back to top